19th Century

This is a placeholder for the history text about the 19th century in Highland Park

General:

1819

The Farmhouse near present-day Heberton Street at Grafton Street was probably built around this time.

General:

1837

The Negleys' land holdings were subdivided by county surveyor Robert Hiland. He gave his own name to Hiland Avenue (now "Highland Avenue").

General:

1868

The City of Pittsburgh annexed areas including those we now know as "Highland Park" and "East Liberty".

General:

1879

The reservoir at the top of Hiland Avenue (now "Highland Park Reservoir No. 1" and "Highland Avenue") began operation.

General:

1890

The spelling of "Hiland" (Avenue) was changed to "Highland". In the following year, the name "Pittsburgh" was officially changed to "Pittsburg" in an attempt to standardize the spellings of place names across the country. The name was officially changed back to "Pittsburgh" in 1911.

General:

1893

Highland Park opened as a city park, thanks primarily to Edward Bigelow, Pittsburgh Director of Public Works. Fulton Academy (now Fulton Academy of Geographic and Life Sciences) on Mellon Street was built.

General:

1894

Lake Carnegie was completed. Work began in 1892 to convert an unused lower reservoir into a small recreational lake to be used for used for boating, swimming, and ice skating.

General:

1896

The piers and statues at the North Highland Avenue entrance to Highland Park were erected. Giuseppe Moretti sculpted the statues.

General:

1898

The Highland Park Zoological Gardens (now Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium) opened.

General:

1900

The Stephen Foster statue by Giuseppe Moretti was installed just inside the main park entrance on Highland Avenue. See the entry for the year 1944 below. The piers and statues at the Stanton Avenue entrance to Highland Park were erected. Giuseppe Moretti also sculpted these.

General: