Timeline

This simple timeline highlights some of the significant events in Highland Park history.

General:

18th Century

This is a placeholder for the history text about the 18th century in Highland Park

General:

1778

Alexander Negley and his family settled in the areas we now know as "Highland Park" and "East Liberty". The Negleys called their land "Fertile Bottom".

General:

19th Century

This is a placeholder for the history text about the 19th century in Highland Park

General:

1819

The Farmhouse near present-day Heberton Street at Grafton Street was probably built around this time.

General:

1837

The Negleys' land holdings were subdivided by county surveyor Robert Hiland. He gave his own name to Hiland Avenue (now "Highland Avenue").

General:

1868

The City of Pittsburgh annexed areas including those we now know as "Highland Park" and "East Liberty".

General:

1879

The reservoir at the top of Hiland Avenue (now "Highland Park Reservoir No. 1" and "Highland Avenue") began operation.

General:

1890

The spelling of "Hiland" (Avenue) was changed to "Highland". In the following year, the name "Pittsburgh" was officially changed to "Pittsburg" in an attempt to standardize the spellings of place names across the country. The name was officially changed back to "Pittsburgh" in 1911.

General:

1893

Highland Park opened as a city park, thanks primarily to Edward Bigelow, Pittsburgh Director of Public Works. Fulton Academy (now Fulton Academy of Geographic and Life Sciences) on Mellon Street was built.

General:

1894

Lake Carnegie was completed. Work began in 1892 to convert an unused lower reservoir into a small recreational lake to be used for used for boating, swimming, and ice skating.

General:

1896

The piers and statues at the North Highland Avenue entrance to Highland Park were erected. Giuseppe Moretti sculpted the statues.

General:

1898

The Highland Park Zoological Gardens (now Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium) opened.

General:

1900

The Stephen Foster statue by Giuseppe Moretti was installed just inside the main park entrance on Highland Avenue. See the entry for the year 1944 below. The piers and statues at the Stanton Avenue entrance to Highland Park were erected. Giuseppe Moretti also sculpted these.

General:

20th Century

This is a placeholder for the history text about the 20th century in Highland Park

General:

1902

The Rhododendron Grove shelter on Lake Drive was built. The former Highland Park bridge was built. This bridge spanned the Allegheny River from Butler Street across Six Mile Island to 19th Street in Sharpsburg. The Parkview Flats apartments on North Saint Clair Street at Callowhill Street were built.

General:

1903

The lower Highland Park Reservoir No. 2 began operation.

General:

1906

The first services at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church on Hampton Street were held on Easter Sunday. The church was designed by the prominent Philadelphia architectural partnership of Carpenter and Crocker. St. Andrew's was founded in 1837 and originally located on Hand Street (now 9th Street) in downtown Pittsburgh.

General:

1932

Part of Lake Carnegie was filled in and converted into swimming pools: the one that exists to this day, and a larger wading pool.

General:

1938

The present Highland Park bridge was built. It connected Butler Street with present-day Freeport Road in Sharpsburg. The ramps to PA 28 opened in 1963.

General:

1944

The Stephen Foster statue which had been just inside the main park entrance on Highland Avenue was moved to its present location on Forbes Avenue in Oakland in Schenley Plaza near the Carnegie. Across Forbes Avenue lies the Stephen Foster Memorial at the University of Pittsburgh. The memorial was dedicated in 1937.

General:

1945

The Highland Park Community Club was founded.

General:

1949

Robert King and hundreds of others defeated a plan to build a new amphitheatre for the Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera on part of his estate at the end of North Negley Avenue. In 1962, the CLO moved into the new Civic Arena (now the Mellon Arena, which building's future is in jeopardy now that the Pittsburgh Penguins hockey team plans to build a replacement facility nearby).

General:

1965

The dividing wall in Highland Park Reservoir No. 1 partially collapsed and was mostly removed in ensuing repairs. The earth removed during the repairs to the reservoir was used to fill in the shallow swimming pool in the park.

General:

1986

The 48-year old Highland Park bridge was renovated.

General:

1989

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation designated Highland Park as a historic landmark.

General:

1991

On a rainy Saturday in early April, a devoted work crew planted 45 dogwood trees in the park.

The community raised about $120,000 to build a "super playground" in the park at Maple Grove.  The distinctive Leathers & Associates design includes many elements suggested by the playground users: the children.  The whole process took about 1.5 years, culminating in the actual construction of the playground by community volunteers from 1991-04-24 to 1991-04-28.  Project leaders Roseanne Levine and Marsha Dugan began the opening ceremony; Councilman Jim Ferlo and Mayor Sophie Masloff participated in the opening ceremony as well.

General:

1992

The community club erected three signs at prominent entrances to the neighborhood: the corner of Stanton and North Highland Avenues, the corner of Stanton and North Negley Avenues, and at the top of The Hill Road (now One Wild Place) near the corner of Bunkerhill and Mellon Streets. The sign at Stanton and North Negley Avenues was replaced sometime around 2000. The replacement matches the style of the sign for the Highland Park Club apartments. Raymond Hair Designs opened on Bryant Street.

General:

1993

The Highland Park Community Development Corporation incorporated.

General:

1994

On July 31, hundreds of people turned out for a ceremony on Bryant Street for the placement of a historical marker at the boyhood home of Jazz musician Billy Eckstine at 5913 Bryant Street. [The Observer; address from photo] The Reservoir of Jazz August concert series began. Walnut Market opens on Bryant Street. A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held on October 30.

General:

1995

On February 12, the Bryant Street Committee of the Highland Park Community Club sponsored a fund-raising event called Chocolate & Champagne at St. Andrew's Church. Guests were able to sample chocolate creations by Highland Park residents and professional caterers, restaurants, and bakeries. Participants included: Baum Vivant Restaurant, Bolan's Candies, Cafe Victoria, La Chacuterie, Oakmont Bakery, Simply Delicious Catering, and Vincenza Chocolates. The event benefited the on-going revitalization of Highland Park's business district along Byrant Street. With funds raised by this event, five new wooden planters located at Walnut Market parking lot, next to Peppi's, next to D & L Cleaners, and in front of ARTS. The sixth was scheduled to be placed at Cafe Flora after the sidewalk was redone. [Bryant St. Comittee news releases 1995/1996; HPCC Newsletter 8/1995] John and Jacqueline Dougherty bought the former American Legion building. They renovated it to create Cafe Flora. The planned to have a mural painted by Karl Brake, backdrop artist for Pittsburgh Opera and Pittsburgh Theatre. [HPCC Newsletter, 9/1995] More than 200 Highland Park residents came out to welcome three new Bryant Street businesses on October 29th. This was the second annual Bryant Street grand opening and including a children's festival with pumpkin decorating, sidewalk drawing, face painting, free balloons, and the annual Halloween parade led by the Peabody High School Highlanders marching band. The businesses were Cafe flora, a moderately-priced bistro; The NUIN Center, a muti-faceted therapy center; and Nna, an elegant continental restaurant. (All were expected to open before the end of the year.) [HPCC Newsletter, 12/1995] Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation designated the Klages house on Beverly Place as a historic landmark. The Klages house (1922) was designed by Pittsburgh architect Frederick Scheibler. He also designed an apartment building (1907) on Mellon Street and the Johnston House (1921) on Jackson Street. His other work in Pittsburgh includes the Old Heidelberg Apartments (1905) on South Braddock Avenue in Point Breeze and the Highland Towers (1913) on Highland Avenue in Shadyside. Buildings at 5805 and 5814 Bryant Street were demolished.

General:

1996

On January 1, the NUIN Center was scheduled to open at 5655 Bryant Street (the old Hydrogroup building). (It may have opened sooner; see entry for 1995.) The park gate piers and statues were restored.

General:

1997

Bill Connolly and Bill Rieger opened Dubblebbees Dog Grooming on April 19, 1997

1998

The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority agreed to build a micro-filtration plant rather than cover Highland Park Reservoir No. 1 to comply with a new state law. Highland Park Reservoir No. 2 was covered. Lawrenceville artist Mark Runco completed his mural of Highland Park on North St Clair Street at Bryant St. City Councilman Jim Ferlo commissioned the mural on the side of the building housing the "At the Park" tavern (now "Six & Slice") to draw attention to the planned restoration of the Highland Avenue entrance to the park. Pittsburgh's Historic Review Commission gave preservation awards to Debbie DeAngelis, the Highland Park Community Club, and others to recognize the conservation of the sculptures at the entrance to Highland Park. Debbie DeAngelis initiated the restoration project.

General:

1999


Enrico's Thumbnail

 Enrico's Tazza d'Oro cafe and espresso bar opened on North Highland Avenue

 

 

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation gave Awards of Merit to Pittsburgh City Councilman Jim Ferlo, David Hance of the Highland Park Community Club, and Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority hydraulic engineer John Kasper for their efforts in averting the threat of covering Highland Park Reservoir No. 1.

General:

2000

The Highland Park web site began operation. The Farmhouse was damaged by fire.

General:

21st Century

This is a placeholder for the history text about the 21st century in Highland Park

General:

2001

The Highland Park Community Club, City of Pittsburgh Parks and Recreation Department, and Councilman Jim Ferlo sponsored a salsa party in the park.

Sitar of Pittsburgh Indian restaurant opened on Bryant Street.

 The Union Project began.

General:

2002

Severe storms hit the Pittsburgh region, including Highland Park. The Farmhouse reopened after extensive repairs and renovations. The park gate piers ("Welcome" at North Highland Avenue, and "Horse Tamers" at Stanton Avenue) gate) were designated as City Historic Objects. Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation designated Fulton Academy of Geographic and Life Sciences on Hampton Street between Mellon Street and North Saint Clair Street as a historic landmark. Volunteers from the community held a maintenance day for the Super Playground. The new Micro-Filtration Plant in Highland Park opened.

General:

2003

A gas leak forced the temporary closure of the Farmhouse. A week-end snow storm led to a fun Snow Day in Highland Park. The Highland Park Community Club, the East End Neighborhood Forum, and St. Andrew's Episcopal Church sponsored a "Meet the Candidates" forum to help residents make their choices for the upcoming Council District 7 special election. Leonard Bodack, Jr. won the special election to fill the remainder of Jim Ferlo's term as City Council representative for District 7. The Children's Committee co-sponsored an Egg Hunt with Citparks. Highland Park's Patrick Dowd won a seat on the School Board in the primary election and Leonard Bodack, Jr. retained his seat on City Council.

General:

2007

About 150 people participated in a "Sweet 16" party for the Super Playground on 2007-06-09.  The event was sponsored by the Highland Park Community Council and state Senator Jim Ferlo and included an appearance by Mayor Luke Ravenstalhl and original Super Playground project leaders Marsha Dugan and Roseanne Levine.  The event also featured a new dedication sign.  Children attending the event were invited to add tiles to part of a new mosaic for the wall near the top of One Wild Place (formerly The Hill Road).

General: