Highland Park

1986

The 48-year old Highland Park bridge was renovated.

General:

1965

The dividing wall in Highland Park Reservoir No. 1 partially collapsed and was mostly removed in ensuing repairs. The earth removed during the repairs to the reservoir was used to fill in the shallow swimming pool in the park.

General:

1949

Robert King and hundreds of others defeated a plan to build a new amphitheatre for the Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera on part of his estate at the end of North Negley Avenue. In 1962, the CLO moved into the new Civic Arena (now the Mellon Arena, which building's future is in jeopardy now that the Pittsburgh Penguins hockey team plans to build a replacement facility nearby).

General:

1945

The Highland Park Community Club was founded.

General:

1944

The Stephen Foster statue which had been just inside the main park entrance on Highland Avenue was moved to its present location on Forbes Avenue in Oakland in Schenley Plaza near the Carnegie. Across Forbes Avenue lies the Stephen Foster Memorial at the University of Pittsburgh. The memorial was dedicated in 1937.

General:

1938

The present Highland Park bridge was built. It connected Butler Street with present-day Freeport Road in Sharpsburg. The ramps to PA 28 opened in 1963.

General:

1932

Part of Lake Carnegie was filled in and converted into swimming pools: the one that exists to this day, and a larger wading pool.

General:

1906

The first services at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church on Hampton Street were held on Easter Sunday. The church was designed by the prominent Philadelphia architectural partnership of Carpenter and Crocker. St. Andrew's was founded in 1837 and originally located on Hand Street (now 9th Street) in downtown Pittsburgh.

General:

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Highland Park