Highland Park

1903

The lower Highland Park Reservoir No. 2 began operation.

General:

1902

The Rhododendron Grove shelter on Lake Drive was built. The former Highland Park bridge was built. This bridge spanned the Allegheny River from Butler Street across Six Mile Island to 19th Street in Sharpsburg. The Parkview Flats apartments on North Saint Clair Street at Callowhill Street were built.

General:

1900

The Stephen Foster statue by Giuseppe Moretti was installed just inside the main park entrance on Highland Avenue. See the entry for the year 1944 below. The piers and statues at the Stanton Avenue entrance to Highland Park were erected. Giuseppe Moretti also sculpted these.

General:

1898

The Highland Park Zoological Gardens (now Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium) opened.

General:

1896

The piers and statues at the North Highland Avenue entrance to Highland Park were erected. Giuseppe Moretti sculpted the statues.

General:

1894

Lake Carnegie was completed. Work began in 1892 to convert an unused lower reservoir into a small recreational lake to be used for used for boating, swimming, and ice skating.

General:

1893

Highland Park opened as a city park, thanks primarily to Edward Bigelow, Pittsburgh Director of Public Works. Fulton Academy (now Fulton Academy of Geographic and Life Sciences) on Mellon Street was built.

General:

1890

The spelling of "Hiland" (Avenue) was changed to "Highland". In the following year, the name "Pittsburgh" was officially changed to "Pittsburg" in an attempt to standardize the spellings of place names across the country. The name was officially changed back to "Pittsburgh" in 1911.

General:

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Highland Park